Please Join us for the Sarasota County
Mental Health Court Seminar
Be sure to register before the February 7th deadline
With a beautiful setting and delectable meals and snacks provided by the Vincent Academy and its students, this seminar will include excellent speakers with timely information about the progress and work to be done in the mental health arena in Sarasota with a specific focus on the courts. An agenda of the seminar is below.
The conference will feature Steve Leifman, Miami-Dade County Judge. Judge Leifman has earned nationwide recognition for his tireless efforts to improve Florida’s treatment of individuals struggling with mental illness inside and outside the criminal justice system. He will be addressing the intersection of mental illness and the criminal justice system and providing tools our community can utilize to continue to create positive change.
- Date: February 13, 2018
- Time: 8:30am - 4:30pm
- Location: Vincent Academy, 1910 Glengary Street, Sarasota (parking direction upon arrival)
- Cost: $75 (includes breakfast, lunch and snacks throughout the day)
- BREAKFAST - 8:30-9:00
- WELCOME AND PRELIMINARY REMARKS - 9:00-9:15
- THE INTERSECTION OF MENTAL HEALTH AND CRIMINAL JUSTICE: A JUDICIAL PERSPECTIVE - 9:15-10:45
- COMMUNITY PROGRESS - 11:00-12:00
- Community progress pursuant to the Sequential Intercept Mapping - Kim Wiles, Sarasota County Criminal Justice Policy Coordinator
- Medication Assisted Treatment – Dr. Janet Taylor, a psychiatrist with Centerstone of Florida
- Panel discussion on law enforcement initiatives moderated by Judge Quartermaine with panelists: Dr. Janet Taylor, Kim Wiles, Major Jeff Bell, Chief of Corrections, Sarasota Sheriff’s Office; and Kevin Stiff, Homeless Response Coordinator, City of Sarasota.
- LUNCH AND PRESENTATION OF AWARDS - 12:00-1:00
- COMMUNITY CARE MODELS - 1:00- 2:00
- Community Care Models: Best Practices – Mark Engelhardt, MS, MSW, ACSW, USF-FMHI Faculty: Systems Development, USF College of Behavioral & Community Sciences, Dept. of Mental Health, Law & Policy.
- Panel discussion on supportive housing moderated by Mark Engelhardt with panelists: Scott Eller, CEO Community Assisted & Supported Living, Inc.; Ed DeMarco, CEO of Suncoast Partnership to End Homelessness; and Wayne Applebee, Sarasota County’s Director of Homelessness.
- INVOLUNTARY INPATIENT AND OUTPATIENT CARE - 2:30-4:30
- The Legal Side of Baker Acts – Ed Wilson, Baker Act Magistrate, Sarasota County
- The Baker Act from the Psychiatrist’s Point of View - Dr. Mario Oliva, Psychiatrist, Coastal Behavioral
- The State of State Hospitals – Paula Carter, State Hospital Admission and Discharge Liaison, Central Florida Behavioral Health
- Building a Comprehensive System of Care – Judge Leifman
- Panel discussion moderated by Judge Quartermaine with panelists: Judge Leifman, Paula Carter, Ed Wilson and Dr. Mario Oliva